Why You Should Use a Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
If you suffer from skin sensitivities, now is the perfect time to make the leap to a natural deodorant. Many leading antiperspirant and deodorant brands contain artificial fragrances and chemicals that are detrimental to maintaining a healthy, balanced body. Furthermore, many of the main ingredients found in deodorants and antiperspirants cause uncomfortable reactions for people with sensitive skin.
Deodorant Ingredients to Avoid If You Have Sensitive Skin
- Aluminum: Aluminum is an ingredient primarily found in antiperspirants. Its job is to clog up sweat glands in the armpits to prevent your body from sweating. However, for those with sensitive skin, this chemical often causes skin reactions such as itchiness, redness, and rashes.
- Alcohol: A lot of deodorants utilize alcohol to help the deodorant dry faster. It is also a natural bacteria-killer which can help extend the shelf-life of the deodorant. However, for people with sensitive skin, alcohol tends to dry out the skin and can easily lead to irritation.
- Parabens: Parabens are preservatives that keep beauty products from growing mold and bacteria over time. However, parabens can not only trigger reactions to those with sensitive skin, they are also suspected to be a carcinogen.
- Fragrance (also listed as Parfum): Fun fact, when any beauty product has fragrance or parfum listed as an ingredient, it is being used as a catch-all phrase to mean any chemical that contributes to the product’s smell. This is allowed by the FDA and allows brands to keep their formula a secret from potential competitors. However, if you have sensitive skin you won’t know exactly what is included in the fragrance. It is quite possible one (or more) of the chemicals can trigger a bad reaction.
- Propylene Glycol: If used everyday, propylene glycol can damage your central nervous system, heart, and liver. It is also a chemical notorious for irritating skin, particularly if you have sensitive skin. This chemical can be harmful at as small a percentage as 2%, yet deodorants and antiperspirants generally have doses of propylene glycol as high as 50%.
The Best Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin, your best bet is to switch to a natural deodorant that is free of aluminum, synthetic fragrance, parabens, and other synthetic toxins. Instead, reach for a deodorant that contains naturally-derived scents, and healthy ingredients. The best natural deodorant should have the following basic characteristics:
- Free of artificial colors
- Free of synthetic fragrances
However, not all natural deodorants are ideal for sensitive skin. There are many ingredients, that while considered natural, can cause unwanted skin reactions, particularly for those with a history of sensitive skin. Here are a few tips when searching for the best natural deodorant for sensitive skin:
Opt for Baking Soda Free Natural Deodorant
The best natural deodorant for sensitive skin will be baking-soda free. While baking soda is a natural ingredient, that is effective at eliminating body odor, it actually disrupts the pH balance of your skin. Even those without sensitive skin can experience underarm skin rashes, irritation, and redness. So if you have skin sensitivities, be sure to steer clear of any natural deodorant that uses baking soda.
Be Wary of Certain Essential Oils
Essential oils are also a common ingredient in natural deodorants. However, many of these oils can cause irritants or allergic contact dermatitis. While everyone’s body reacts differently, and concentration plays a big role in sensitivity issues, as a general rule chamomile and calendula are a safe bet for sensitive skin types. Any natural deodorants utilizing the following essential oils should be used with caution by those with sensitive skin:
- Citrus Oils (lemon, orange, bergamot, lemongrass)
- Mint (peppermint, eucalyptus, spearmint)
Some essential oils that are ideal to use as fragrances if you are sensitive include:
When in Doubt, Choose Unscented Natural Deodorant
If you are highly sensitive, it is best to opt for an unscented natural deodorant. Honestly pHresh’s Unscented Natural Deodorant features a simple, all-natural formula that is ideal for those with sensitive skin. Our unique blend of prebiotics and minerals works to nourish sensitive skin while stopping body odor in its tracks for all day protection. It even comes in a user-friendly stick design that is very much like the deodorant you already use.